Serves four as a sauce for pasta or an army as an excellent dressing for the toast or on a fresh baguette.
- 4 eggplants (about 1.5kg in all)
- 150g pine nuts – i also used macadamia nuts as a replacement
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 100g parsley, roughly chopped; this is a lot of parsley, plan for a bunch or two
- 120ml olive oil
- 40g mature pecorino or parmesan, finely grated
- a handful of fresh oregano leaves, shredded
- Score the eggplant with a knife in a few places and place under a hot grill for about 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes or so, until dark and charred all over.
- Cut a slit in each eggplant and use a spoon to scoop out the flesh; discard the skin.
- Leave in a colander to drain for at least an hour
- Roughly chop the flesh and set aside: you should have about 500g.
- Blitz the pine nuts, garlic, parsley and oil until quite smooth, transfer to a bowl.
- Add the eggplant, cheese, oregano and half a teaspoon of salt (or more to taste), and fold to combine.
Use at once or store in the fridge in an airtight jar for up to five days.