You certainly do not need all of these – this is to give you the concept maximum, and you may implement it very simply with only green herbs, olive, salt and pepper, depending on the circumstances.
The best way to make salsa verde is to chop all the ingredients very finely by hand. It’s great served with grilled or roasted meat and fish.
- 1½–2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 small handful of capers
- 1 small handful of gherkins pickled in sweet vinegar
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 large handfuls of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves picked
- 1 handful of fresh mint, leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 8 tablespoons really good extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Finely chop the garlic, capers, gherkins, anchovies and herbs and put them into a bowl. Add the mustard and vinegar, then slowly stir in the olive oil until you achieve the right consistency. Balance the flavors with freshly ground black pepper, a bit of salt and maybe a little more vinegar.