Makes 1 1/2 cups (some 400 ml).
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups raw walnut halves
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
Toast the walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lay walnuts out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake on the middle rack in oven for 5 minutes.
- Test for doneness. If not quite toasted enough, toast for 1 or 2 more minutes. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan on a rack.
- Pour sugar into a medium saucepan with a thick bottom. Have walnuts nearby, ready to quickly add to the pan at the right time.
- Cook sugar on medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon as soon as the sugar begins to melt.
- Keep stirring until all the sugar has melted and the color is a medium amber.
- As soon as sugar is melted and the color is a medium amber, add the walnuts to the pan, quickly stirring and coating each piece with the sugar mixture.
Cool down and keep ..
- As soon as the walnuts are coated with the sugar mixture, spread them out on a rimmed baking sheet, lined either a non-stick mat, or parchment paper.
- Use two forks to separate the walnuts from each other, working very quickly. Sprinkle the nuts with the salt.
- Let cool completely.