You may prepare this for the immediate use, perhaps with pasta being readied at the same time, or you may choose to prepare a large quantity and store it in the fridge for use at later time. Both routes are ok.
- 3 bunches of fresh basil
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- salt , pepper
- 60 ml oil
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- option: pasta, to be ready and cooked towards the end of the process
- Wash basil, discard stems (about 500 ml of leaves should remain).
- Place oil and pine nuts in a small saucepan.
- Cook over low heat until brown; drain immediately.
- Mash basil, pine nuts, peeled garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor.
- When almost ready add the remaining oil while spinning (pour with a thin stream)
For immediate use:
- Turn the mixture into a serving bowl, add parmesan and mix
- Add the hot pasta and fold in the sauce.
- Place the mixture into the clean jar with a clean, tight lid.
- Pour some oil on the top, so that all green leafy stuff is immersed.
- Before you intend to use it, take it out of the fridge, take out as many spoonfuls as you need, smooth down the surface of pesto in the jar again, pour some fresh oil as needed to cover. Put the back into the fridge.
- Add parmesan to the pesto you intend to use now and proceed as you would..