Excellent, but not easy to construct. We had such a battle in preparation, that i forgot to take pictures. I started with wooden skewers, and found that building a flat group of asparagus spears was very tricky, unless you were willing to settle for a single skewer per group. We ended up with metal skewers, one skewer pinnig down a group of 6-10 spears on their thickest end. Worked ok, but wanted skillfull ‘turning up-side-down’ on bbq..
In any case, the taste is excellent, delivery technique needs improvement. I would likely just settle for placing loose asparagus directly on the grill and then rolling them when needed .. Will keep notes and update records.
- fresh asparagus, trimmed (tough ends cut off) – i started with almost 1kg
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 100ml fresh lemon juice
- 50ml olive oil
- 50ml low sodium soy sauce
- Pinch of black pepper
- Chopped mint to taste (option)
- Immerse some wooden kebab sticks in water to soak – if using
- Combine all spices and asparagus in a large zip-top plastic bag.
- Seal and marinate (room temp) for 30 minutes or more.
- Remove asparagus from bag, and discard marinade.
If you choose the skewer technique,
- Thread a few spears of asparagus on a skewer, try to addd a second skewer to construct a flat group.
- Produce as flat packages with all asparagus you have to cook.
Otherwise, come directly here
- Heat the grill.
- Place asparagus on grill rack or grill pan.
- Grill at medium to medium-high temperature for 3-5 minutes on each side or until asparagus is done.