Excellent as a lunch dish or as an accompaniment to some serious meaty experience..
For 4 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large leeks , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 300ml skimmed milk
- Lots of parmesan, finely grated – in fact, take as much as you like it. I used about 65 g for an average size couli head. Was not too much, but was ok
- Cook the cauliflower until tender – I recommend steaming it, but I know someone, who stands by cooking a cauliflower always in a microwave, covered, no water
- Drain well then transfer to 4 individual or one large ovenproof dish.
- Meanwhile heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, add the leeks and cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes until meltingly soft.
- Mix the mustard powder and the flour with small amount of milk, dilute it with the reminder
- Gradually pour in the milk and stir continuously until smooth.
- Add half the parmesan and simmer until melted into the sauce.
- Spoon over the cauliflower.
- Scatter with the rest of the parmesan then grill for 5 minutes until golden and bubbling.