This could be made with other fruit like plums (wegierki), peaches, apricots. Pears may not be sharp enough.
Batter in which to immerse the fruit:
- ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) light cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 Granny Smiths (or other tart, cooking) apples, peeled, cored, and sliced in wedges
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml) flour
- 1 cup (250ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cinnamon
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) cold butter
- 1 cup (250 ml) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- ½ cup (125 ml) light cream
- preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- butter 9”x13” (23×33 cm) baking dish
- in large bowl mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt.
- gradually add cream and lemon juice, until combined
- toss apples in cream mixture
- spoon into prepared pan
- mix together flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- cut-in butter with pastry blender (I do it with two knives) until mixture is crumbly
- spread over the apples and pat down gently
- 45 minutes in 350F
- combine sauce ingredients in saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolved.
- simmer until thickens (likely in time for apples to be ready)
serve warm with sauce..