Originally came to me from the CBC Radio 1, many moons – and many adjustments ago.. It is a great treat for the barbecue crowd. Also, it remains a summer affair, as fresh fragrant strawberries are its essential component and will not be easily replaced by the imported winter miracle fruit.. It really wants the final preparation just before serving, but the dressing and the almondy garnish can be prepared a day ahead (keep them tightly covered..)
For 4 – 6 people
- Spinach – perhaps 300 g dry weight (after cleaning and sharing off the water as much as possible)
- fresh sliced strawberries – to taste, start with a small basket (500 ml?)
- Sesame, poppy seed, Worcestershire (about 125 ml)
- slivered almonds (125 ml)
- sugar (60 ml)
- 2 tsp. water (10 ml)
Cooks and cooks’ helpers treat the caramelized almonds as snack food. It’s best to double the almond recipe so that by the time the salad is ready to serve, there may be some almonds left!
- Combine all garnish ingredients in a non-stick frying pan or pot.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until melted sugar turns golden brown and coats almonds (approx. 5 – 10 minutes).
- Turn out onto a piece of greased foil.
- Cool and break into small pieces. If not using immediately, put it in airtight container and store in room temperature.
- Clean spinach and strawberries.
- Mix in bowl. Set aside.
- Add almond pieces to salad.
- Shake dressing well.
- Add dressing just before serving.