Tamarind chutney is a sweet-tart dark mixture with a wonderful flavour. Tamarind is available at Asian or Indian stores, some health food stores and some supermarkets. I also sometimes substitute with tangy (not sweet) prune butter.
Makes about 175 mL.
- 125 g tamarind in a block
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- Place tamarind and water in small pot on high heat.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, stirring to break up block.
- Simmer 5 minutes or until tamarind has become a thick liquid.
- Strain pressing down in the sieve.
- Return to pot, add coconut milk and sugar and simmer until just combined, about 2 minutes.