Very useful to know, if you have some potatoes and no idea what to do with them. Good to have some goose fat – or duck’s fat. But this may be an exception rater than a rule..
Rösti are excellent plain, but can be made into a complete meal with the addition of onion, bacon and nutty Alpine cheese. Burning off all accumulated calories is another matter altogether.
Serves 4 as a side dish, 2 as a main course
- 2 medium-sized waxy, firm potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp goose fat
- Parboil the potatoes in salted water until just tender, but not soft.
- Allow to cool, and chill for at least a couple of hours.
- Coarsely grate the potatoes and season.
- Heat half the fat in a small, heavy-based frying pan until sizzling, and then add the grated potato,
- Allow to cook for a couple of minutes and then shape it into a flat cake, pressing down as lightly as possible.
- Allow to cook for a couple of minutes, then gently shake the pan to loosen the potato.
- Continue to cook for about 10 minutes until golden and crisp
- Place a plate on top of the pan and invert it so the cake sits, cooked-side up, on the plate.
- Add the rest of the butter and goose fat to the pan and, when hot, slide the potato cake back into the pan the other way up.
- Cook for another 10 minutes, then serve.