One more frittatta in the potato pancake family..
For 5-6 people
- About 1 kg baking potatoes, like Idaho or russet, peeled,
- 1 medium onion, peeled,
- 2 eggs,
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste,
- 2 tablespoons plain bread crumbs or matzo meal,
- Neutral oil, like corn or grape seed.
- Grate potatoes and onion by hand or with grating disk of a food processor; drain in colander or strainer.
- Combine potatoes and onions in a large bowl with eggs, salt, pepper and bread crumbs or matzo meal.
- Pour about 1/2 cm deep layer of oil in a large, deep skillet, either nonstick or seasoned cast iron.
- Turn heat to medium-high.
- When oil is hot (it will shimmer) put all the batter in pan, and smooth the top.
- Cook, shaking pan occasionally; adjust heat so mixture sizzles but does not burn.
- Continue until bottom is nicely browned, at least 15 minutes.
- To turn, slide cake out onto a large plate, cover with another large plate and invert.
- Add a little more oil to pan if necessary, and slide pancake back in, cooked side up.
- Cook 15 minutes or so longer, until nicely browned.
- Serve hot or warm.