Next time you’re hosting a barbecue, instead of pricey individual steaks, buy top sirloin steaks — they’re tender, delicious and large enough to satisfy a crowd. Just grill to medium-rare, slice into thin strips and drizzle with the easy no-cook sauce (below). They are delicious warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 4 to 5 lbs (2 to 2.5 kg) top sirloin steak, about 3 to 4 steaks, each 1/2 to 1 in. (1 to 2.5 cm) thick
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) bottled steak spice
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) teriyaki sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) hoisin sauce or honey-garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sliced fresh chives or chopped fresh coriander
- Rub meat on both sides with steak spice.
- Lightly oil grill and heat barbecue to medium-high.
- For medium-rare, place steak on grill and barbecue with lid closed until meat gives slight resistance when pressed.
- Depending on thickness of steak, this will take 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir teriyaki with hoisin.
- Remove steak from grill and let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Thinly slice against grain.
- Arrange on a platter.
- Drizzle with teriyaki mixture, then sprinkle with chives.