The steamed leeks will keep in the refrigerator for three days.
- romesco sauce
- 6 fat leeks, or 12 baby leeks
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground peppe
- Cut away the dark green ends of the leeks.
- Trim the root end.
- Cut fat leeks lengthwise into quarters, and rinse thoroughly under cold water to wash away any sand. If your leeks are 2 cm they needn’t be cut; if they are larger, you can just cut them in half.
- Bring an inch of water to a boil in the bottom of a steamer.
- Place the leeks in the steamer, and steam 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, and toss with the olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. You may now store them, covered, in the fridge, or grill them right away.
- Prepare a medium-hot grill.
- Grill the steamed leeks for five minutes, turning often, just until grill marks appear.
- Remove from the heat, and serve with romesco sauce.