Yield: 4 servings
- 500g carrots, trimmed and peeled if necessary, cut into coins or sticks
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced or grated peeled fresh ginger
- 80ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Chopped fresh parsley, dill, mint, basil or chervil leaves for garnish (optional).
- Combine all ingredients except lemon juice and garnish in a saucepan no more than 15cm across.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and adjust heat so mixture simmers.
- Cook, more or less undisturbed, until carrots are tender and liquid is almost gone, 10 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and boil off remaining liquid, then add lemon juice.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve hot or within an hour or two, garnished with herbs, if you like.