This is a simple, dry Indian potato dish that you can serve with something meaty instead of rice or as part of a vegetarian meal with another vegetable dish and some bread. Even for meat-eaters, cooking vegetables with Indian spices is one of the tastiest ways of preparing them.
- 100g ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 1/2tsp cumin seeds
- 2tsp black mustard seeds
- 1tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/2tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp garam masala
- A good pinch of curry leaves
- 2 medium-sized red chillies, finely chopped
- 6 medium-sized baking potatoes, peeled and cut into rough 2-3cm chunks
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- 2tbsp chopped coriander
- Melt the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan and gently cook the onion with the spices and chilli on a low heat with the lid on, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes without colouring.
- Add the potatoes and lemon juice, cover with hot water, add about a teaspoon of salt and simmer for about 10 minutes with the lid on,
- tThen remove the lid and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring every so often until the potatoes are just cooked.
- Stir in the coriander and simmer for a few more minutes, or until the liquid has evaporated.