Yield: 8 to 12 servings.
- 1 kg carrots, peeled and cut into large piece
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, more to taste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 teaspoons harissa (available at Middle Eastern and specialty markets)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil carrots until very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and return to pan, tossing over medium heat until dry.
- Coarsely mash with potato masher or fork.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and set aside for 30 minutes to let flavors blend.
- Season, transfer to bowl, drizzle with more olive oil and serve with crusty bread, if desired.