It is a treat, albeit a bit on a heavy side – small slices recommended..
Serves 8-10; leftovers, if any, can be stored and offered the next day
- 310ml flour,
- 1 tsp icing sugar,
- pinch of salt,
- 110g butter, cut into small pieces,
- 1 egg yolk,
- 2 tbsp ice water (30 ml).
For the filling:
- 375 ml chopped almonds,
- 165 ml sugar,
- 60g butter, room temperature,
- 30 ml flour,
- 60 ml Amaretto liqueur,
- 2 eggs.
For final compilation:
- 625 g purple plums, pitted and thinly sliced (4-5 large plums),
- 30g butter, cut into bits,
- 30 ml sugar,
- 30ml toasted slivered almonds.
Prepare the Shell:
- In food processor combine flour, sugar and salt.
- Add butter and process until mixture forms small pea-sized pieces.
- With processor running, add egg yolk and gradually add ice water.
- Process until dough just begins to come together and will hold shape when pressed.
- Press into thick disk and roll out into a 12” (30 cm) round.
- Place over a 10” (25 cm) tart pan with removable bottom.
- Ease pastry over the bottom and sides of the pan, pressing gently into place.
- Roll rolling pin over top of pan to trim excess pastry.
- Place tart pan on baking sheet and set aside.
Prepare the filling:
- In food processor mix almonds, sugar, butter , flour and Amaretto.
- Pulse until crumbly mixture forms.
- Add eggs and process for 10 seconds.
- Spread mixture evenly in pastry shell.
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C)
- Arrange plum slices in overlapping circles in filling (be generous). Be sure to fit plum slices tightly together. Cover filling completely.
- Dot plums with butter and dust with sugar.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, until tart has browned.
- Transfer to rack and let cool.
- Garnish with toasted almonds.