These came to me from my dear nephew, Adam. I am forever grateful. The original version with the filling is decadent – but well worth the effort. Our greedy family usually stops at the cookie level, no time or chance to prepare or apply the stuffing..
here they accompany the lemon curd based desert:
For about 30 cookies (for size i calculate roughly a teaspoon of the batter each) you will take:
- 50g unsalted butter – too much will reduce the cookies into flat lakes of fat..
- 50g flour
- 65g sugar
- 2 tbsp corn (or other, but NOT maple) syrup; in case illustrated above i used orange syrup, it suited the occasion better)
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 225ml crashed (grated) pecans – ( one could replace pecans with sliced almonds, as the pictures below illustrate..)
and for the filling
- unsalted butter
- 225ml powdered sugar
- 1 tbs orange juice
- ¾ tsp grated orange peel
- Set the oven to 350F/175C.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a heavy saucepan melt butter, sugar, syrup until smooth, stirring often.
- When melted, stirring constantly bring all to boil and immediately remove from heat.
- Add flour, mix well.
- Add pecans and vanilla.
- Using two spoons drop on cookie sheet, leave room for flooding out.
- Into the oven, for about 11 minutes. Watch them like a hawk, last minutes are crucial – very easy to burn them unpleasantly..
- Out of the oven to cool as is for at least 10 minutes. May be a good idea to leave them on a paper towel, if appear too ‘buttery’
- Onto the cooling rack, so that they cool off completely.
- While the cookies cool off, make the filling by mixing all ingredients in a bowl.
- To finish, take a cold cookie and drop a bit of filling on its flat surface, then press with the other cookie (Oreos style)
They store well in an airtight container, separated by layers of parchment paper..