This is an extremely easy shell, to be used in tarts, quiches, and even not too sweet flans. No eggs, but white cottage cheese and butter make it rich, but not sweet nor hard. I find it very interesting.
Enough to line one 20cm flan ring.
- butter (at room temperature) 125 gm
- cream cheese (at room temperature)125 gm
- plain flour 250 gm
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together.
- Add flour and combine quickly to a homogenous paste (add more flour if it seems to wet).
- Refrigerate for one hour to allow it to rest.
- Remove from chill and allow to come up to temperature before rolling.
- Lightly grease and flour a chosen flan ring,
- Roll out pastry and line the flan ring.
- Lightly pierce the bottom of the pastry with a fork (this is called docking the pastry) to stop any air bubbles forming when baking, place on a tray
- Line with some greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans, lentils or similar
- Rest again for 1 hour
- If required, blind bake in a pre-heated oven (350F/170ºC) for 20 minutes.