I usually prefer to use chicken stock in soups, but we found this soup is also excellent with water.
Serves 4 to 5.
- 250g snow peas
- 3 leeks, chopped (white part only)
- 2 Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 300ml baby spinach leaves
- 700 ml water (or chicken stock)
- 250ml buttermilk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives for garnish
- String snow peas and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Combine snow peas with leeks and potato in a pot.
- Pour water over and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and simmer 5 minutes more or until the vegetables are soft.
- Purée in food processor or blender along with buttermilk.
- Return to pot and simmer gently to reheat before serving.
- Season well with salt and pepper. (For a modern look, use a frother or small hand blender to froth soup. It gives it a lighter texture.)
- Serve garnished with chives.