Consommé can be made with beef, minced chicken legs (bones removed) or game. Once made it can be frozen and used as a base for lots of interesting soups. Add shredded meat and vegetables, or follow the suggestions above for an Italian or Chinese soup.
Makes about 2 litres
- 3 litres cold beef stock (a good cube will do)
- 300g shin of beef, minced or finely chopped in a food processor
- 1 small onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stick of celery, roughly chopped
- Half a leek, roughly chopped and washed
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 1tsp tomato puree
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg whites
- Finely chop the vegetables in a food processor with the thyme and tomato purée.
- Add the beef and egg white.
- Mix well with the cold stock in a saucepan; a whisk is good for this or use your hands.
- Slowly bring to a simmer stirring a couple of times in the first few minutes, then leaving it.
- As it comes up to a simmer the egg white and meat mixture will form a solid crust. Don’t be tempted to stir – just leave it to simmer very gently for an hour.
- Carefully strain the consommé through a colander or strainer lined with some double folded muslin or a clean tea towel.