This is a dead simple and tasty soup to keep the chill out. Onions and garlic tend to scare off people, but when they are fully cooked, they take on a pleasant and completely different flavour.
- 500g shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1.2 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 80g fromage frais (i use white cream cheese)
- In a saucepan with the lid on gently cook the shallots in the olive oil for 8-10 minutes until soft, stirring every so often to prevent them browning.
- If they do begin to colour, add 2-3tbsp of water.
- Add the vegetable stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes, then liquidise in a blender until smooth and strain through a fine-meshed sieve.
- Transfer to a clean pan and re-season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serve with a spoonful of fromage frais