The bright colour of saffron gives this dish real appeal.
Serves 4 to 6.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 2 cups short-grain rice (preferably Spanish or arborio)
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 5 cups hot chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and paprika and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add rice, turning it in butter until coated.
- Stir saffron into chicken stock.
- Pour mixture over rice.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and let rice cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until stock is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle with parsley.