I adapted the concept from Epicurious and made my own adjustments. For example, I could not find chervil and decided to go for a 1:1 mixture of Italian parsley and tarragon – these I still had in the garden. Not sure what it would taste like in the original but the substitution worked in most satisfying manner. Made it many times since and always with great success. It is surprisingly easy and interesting variation on a chicken theme..Served with baguette (excellent choice), rice, delicate pasta or even couscous.
For 6 people i take
- about 1-1,125 kg of chicken pieces; try to have pieces of somewhat equal size, for example 9-10 boneless, skinless thighs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil or, if unavailable, a combination of fresh tarragon and flat Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 or 2 small preserved lemons, thinly sliced, seeded, and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- Zest of 1/2 orange
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons crème fraîche
- Chervil Gremolata
- Season the chicken pieces liberally with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil.
- Heat a wide, deep sauté pan over medium heat, and when the pan is hot, add the oil.
- Place the chicken in the hot pan, and sear until golden brown.
- Turn over, and sear until golden brown on the other side.
- Remove to a plate.
- Lower the heat to low, and add the preserved lemons, garlic, and citrus zests.
- Quickly stir them around in the hot oil, and then add the white wine.
- Raise the heat to high, and use a whisk to pick up all the pieces of crisp chicken from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the stock, and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken pieces back into the pot, and when the liquid boils, reduce the heat to low.
- Cover the pot, and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and cook uncovered for 5 minutes more.
- Take the pan off the heat, and move the chicken pieces to a serving platter.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of crème fraîche into the hot wine and stock, then pour over the chicken.
- Top with the Chervil Gremolata .
Now you are ready to serve it with crusty baguette or couscous.