- 100g butter
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1kg parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pints chicken (or vegetable) stock
- 1 large cooking apple
- In a pan, melt the butter over a medium heat, then add the sliced onion and sauté until it is soft but has not taken on any colour.
- Add the parsnips and sauté until they start to soften.
- Add the thyme and bay leaf.
- Once the herbs are starting to soften in the hot fat, add the stock.
- Bring to a boil, simmer until the parsnips are soft, then remove them from the heat.
- Peel, core and slice the apple, and add to the soup.
- Whiz the whole lot in a blender, season to taste and serve –
You may choose to add a swirl of horseradish cream on top.