Makes a 25cm (10 inch) pie..
This one is no-bake pie, easy to prepare ahead and finish in the last moment. You bake the shell, prepare the filling, put them together, chill, decorate with the topping and serve!
You may use the shell recipe according to Jamie O here or prepare:
- 300g all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp icing sugar (50 ml)
- Pinch salt
- 160g cold butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp cold water
- 130g granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. cornstarch (50 ml)
- Pinch salt
- 1.25 L blueberries or strawberries, tested to work very well, too
- 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon rind (2 mL)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (25 ml)
- 1 tbsp butter (15 ml)
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add one scoop of vanilla ice cream per serving.
Preparing the shell if applicable:
- In bowl, stir together flour, sugar and salt.
- Set the oven to 350 degrees F. (180° C.)
- Using pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until crumbly, add water and mix.
- Using hands, press mixture into small handfuls until smooth and dough holds together.
- Press evenly onto bottom and up side of 10inch (25cm) flan pan with removable bottom.
- Using fork, prick crust at 1-inch (2.5cm) intervals.
- Bake in hot even for about 20 minutes or until light sandy colour.
- Let cool on rack.
Prepare the filling
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk in 75 ml cold water, 500 mL of the berries and lemon rind.
- Bring to simmer over medium heat: reduce head and simmer gently, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until glossy and thickened.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice and butter.
- Let cool slightly.
- Gently stir remaining berries into saucepan.
Construct the pie
- Spoon prepared filling into prepared crust, smooth the top.
- Refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until set. (Pie can be prepared to this point and refrigerated for up to 8 hours.)
- Whip cream –sift in icing sugar- add vanilla.
- Beat until thick.
- Put into piping bag and pipe around outside edge of pie.