Do try and buy decent pork; it really makes a difference..
If you want to make a big batch of the spiced plums you can keep them in the fridge in sterilised mason jars.
- 4 pork chops weighing about 200-250g each
- 1tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
for the spiced plums
- 16 greengages, damsons or mirabelle plums, halved and stoned, or 8 ordinary plums, halved, stoned and quartered
- 50g butter
- 1/2tsp ground cinnamon
- 2tbsp cider vinegar
- 2tbsp water
To make the spiced plums:
- melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed pan,
- add the plums, cinnamon and cider vinegar and cook on a high heat for 3-4 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the water and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated and the plums are soft.
To prepare the chops:
- pre-heat a ribbed griddle plate or a grill
- season and lightly oil the chops and grill for 4-5 minutes on each side depending on their thickness.
- You can cut any rind and fat off and cook it separately under the grill until crisp and serve it with the chops.
- Serve the spiced plums hot or cold, with the chops.