Makes 10-12 servings.
- 4 small purple eggplants (about 1 kg),
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed,
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1 Tbs dried oregano,
- 1 1/4 cups white vinegar,
- 2 cups olive oil (aprox.).
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2-inch thick rounds.
- Place in colander, salt both sides and let stand 3 hours, shaking occasionally to drain.
- Press slices, rinse, and pat dry.
- Heat vinegar and 1 Tbs water in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Poach eggplant slices 5 minutes.
- Drain and arrange in layers in large glass jar, distributing garlic and oregano between layers.
- Fill jar with oil and close tightly.
- Marinate in refrigerator 1 week.
Keeps up to 3 weeks.