A simple dish with a rich French flavour. Serve with little French green beans and rice or mashed potatoes. I love king oyster mushrooms in this, but you can use any combination.
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat until sizzling.
- Working in batches, add chicken, skin side down, and brown on both sides, about 3 minutes a side.
- Place chicken in an ovenproof baking dish. Pour on the fat from skillet, reserving 1 tablespoon for mushrooms.
- Add mushrooms and remaining 1 tablespoon tarragon to skillet. Season with salt and pepper and sauté for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add mushrooms to baking dish. Pour wine into skillet, bring to boil and boil for 1 minute.
- Add stock and return to boil. Boil for 2 minutes or until sauce is reduced slightly.
- Pour sauce over chicken and bake uncovered for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is cooked and juices are clear