Positively one of the top 5 favourites salads in our domain (two our of five are carrot based..)
Serves 4 as a salad
Serve this as salad or as an accompaniment for a roast joint. If you prefer sharper, tart taste, you may replace the orange juice with grapefruit juice, even to the point of using it instead of water while boiling.
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 4tbsp olive oil
- 6 medium sized carrots, trimmed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 100ml orange juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Gently cook the onion in the olive oil on a low heat with the ground cumin and seeds for 4-5 minutes, without colouring and stirring every so often.
- Add the carrots and orange juice, season and add enough water just to cover the carrots.
- Bring to the boil, cover with a lid and simmer until just tender.
- Remove the lid, turn the heat up and cook on a medium heat until almost all the liquid has evaporated.
- Transfer to a bowl and leave to cool.
- Stir in the coriander and serve the carrots at room temperature.