- 120-150g mache (corn salad or lamb’s lettuce (Valerianella locusta))
- 1 beetroot weighing about 250-300g, peeled
for the vinaigrette
- 1tbsp good-quality tarragon vinegar
- 2tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp vegetable or corn oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shred the raw beetroot as finely as possible, on a mandolin (a shredding/slicing machine) or by hand. If you can’t find raw beetroot, cooked will do.
- Put all the vinaigrette ingredients into a clean bottle or jar. Give them a good shake and leave to infuse overnight at room temperature.
- To serve, put the mache into a mixing bowl with the beetroot, season with salt and pepper and mix in the vinaigrette to taste.