Served hot or room temperature, eaten properly with the knife and fork or with at ease your fingers, always interesting and popular.
For 4 people
- 400g or so of asparagus with woody ends removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil or melted butter to serve
For the topping
- 60g fresh white breadcrumbs, lightly toasted
- 40g butter, melted
- 40g capers, drained and chopped
- The finely grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1tbsp chopped parsley
- Cook the asparagus in boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes, depending on the size, until tender, then drain. Do not overcook!
- Mix all of the ingredients for the topping together and season.
- Arrange the asparagus on serving dish(es), pour over the melted butter or olive oil and scatter the topping over.