- 200 g raw almonds
- 4 tsp barley (or rice) malt – in dire straights one can substitute with natural honey
These quantities made for me 26 little round balls (as seen above)
- Grind dry almonds to a powder (as fine as it is possible) – coffee grinder woks well, if you do not have a dedicated nuts/herbs grinder handy.
- Place the powder in a bowl, add malt and mash thoroughly. It requires some time and some brave muscle power, but is quite achievable.
- Gooey paste can now be placed on the table – i would always place some parchment or wax paper on the table surface, to shield it from the sticky substance.
- Gently moving the substance in your hands (as you would any old dough) get it to the point when it is consistently sticky, almost shiny on the surface.
- Form a roll – size of choice. Mine is roughly about 4 cm in diameter.
- With a sharp and clean knife slice even rounds – say about 1 cm wide.
- Each slice will become a ball, by rolling it in tightly held palms of your hands.
- Place all bowls on a flat plate, store them in a fridge for about one hour or so.
- Serve – with coffee, with cognac, with beer.. Sky is the limit.
Those left over (if ever) keep well in a tightly closed box in the fridge.