6 very tasty servings, summer cool or winter hot..
- 3 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil, or a combination
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 1 medium potato, preferably high-starch (“russet” or “baking”), peeled and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or a pinch of dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper
- 4 medium zucchini, trimmed and diced
- 2 medium ripe (but still firm) pears, peeled, cored and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, or use water
- Mint leaves for garnish (optional).
- Put butter, oil or combination in a large skillet over medium heat; when butter melts or oil is hot, cook carrot, onion, potato and thyme with a healthy sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally, adjusting heat so vegetables do not brown.
- When onion is softened, about 5 minutes, add zucchini and continue to cook until everything is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add pear and cook until it has softened, about 5 minutes more.
- Add liquid and bring to a boil; taste and adjust seasoning.
- Cool mixture, then purée. Serve cold or reheat and serve hot, garnished with mint, if desired.