Cauliflower and caviar have a real affinity. Roasting cauliflower heightens its taste, giving more flavour to this rich, yummy soup. If desired, you can substitute chopped chives for the caviar.
Serves 4 to 6.
- 1 litre medium (3-5cm pieces) cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 or 5 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green part only
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 60 ml whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Caviar or chopped chives
- Preheat oven to 450F/225C.
- Toss cauliflower with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme and lay on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden, turning once during baking.
- Discard thyme and reserve.
- Heat butter in pot over medium heat.
- Add leeks and sauté until limp, about 3 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and simmer for 10 minutes longer or until the florets are soft.
- Purée soup with a food processor or blender until very smooth.
- Add cream and reseason with salt and pepper.
- Add lemon juice.
- Top with caviar or chives before serving.