Fried aubergines with honey
I tested it also with zucchini (courgette), may be for some yet better combination. With zucchini you do not want to over-cook, so be quick with the frying.
· 1 aubergine, halved lengthways and thinly sliced or 5-6 small Japanese aubergines, quartered lengthways
· 125g self raising flour
· 250ml water
· 1/2 tsp salt
· Vegetable oil for frying
· 3-4tbsp clear honey
· Chopped fresh mint leaves for serving
1. Mix the flour and enough water to make a thick batter and season with a good pinch of salt, then leave to stand for 10 minutes.
2. Heat about 8cm of oil in a deep fat fryer or heavy saucepan to about 180C.
3. Dip the pieces of aubergines in the batter and fry a few pieces at a time until golden then drain on some kitchen paper while cooking the rest.
4. Drizzle with honey and serve immediately with chopped mint if you have any.