Excellent, easy, can be prepared in stages over two-three days, keeps well in cool environment.
- 6 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
- 2 1-pound English hothouse cucumbers, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 3 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 10 medium), unpeeled
- Additional coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup very thinly sliced white onion
- 8 radishes, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- Small radishes with green tops
Pickle cucumbers to days before serving:
- Stir vinegar and 4 teaspoons coarse salt in small bowl until salt dissolves.
- Place cucumbers and 1/2 cup dill in heavy 1-gallon resealable plastic bag.
- Add vinegar mixture; seal bag.
- Turn several times to coat.
- Refrigerate overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Pour cucumber mixture into large sieve set over bowl.
- Drain at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours. Discard brine.
- Cook potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Cool potatoes completely.
- Peel potatoes; quarter lengthwise.
- Cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Place potatoes in large bowl; sprinkle generously with coarse salt and pepper.
Construct the salad – could be done one day ahead, too:
- Add drained cucumbers, onion, sliced radishes, and remaining 3 tablespoons dill; toss to blend.
- Let stand 1 hour.
- Stir mayonnaise into salad.
- Season generously with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate
- Mound salad in bowl; garnish with whole radishes.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.