May take some time and patience.. make sure you have a flat pot with heavy bottom.
- 4 kg very ripe apricots pitted
- 3.15 kg sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Cook apricots and sugar to setting point, continually skimming off foam.
- Shortly before done, add lemon juice.
- Remove from heat.
- Test for setting point: Spoon a little of the conserve onto a chilled saucer. Leave for a few minutes – then hold saucer upside down. If conserve doesn’t run, then setting point has been reached. If it does, return to simmering
- Pour into hot, dry, sterilized jars. Seal jars with cellophane the top of which has been dipped in rum and smooth the overhang over the jars’ necks, tying with thin twine.
This recipe yields about 13 0.5l jars.