Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- 1 3/4 cups (255g) all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (190g) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cube
- 2 tablespoons (or more) ice water
- 2 large apples, peeled, cored, cut into thin slices
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup ( 4 tablespoons) apricot preserves
- Whole milk
Pastry shell can be made 2 days ahead. Keep the dough chilled. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out. To make it you will :
- Blend flour and salt in processor.
- Add butter and blend, using on/off turns, until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Add 2 tablespoons ice water and blend just until dough begins to clump together, adding more ice water by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
- Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour (or longer). If you keep it longer, like a day or two, remember to bring it out for some 30 minutes before rolling it out. .
- Roll out dough between sheets of parchment paper thinly into a circle, 14 inches (35cm?) in diameter.
- Remove top sheet of parchment.
- Using bottom sheet as aid, transfer dough on parchment to large unrimmed baking sheet.
- Chill 15 minutes.
When you are ready, construct and bake the galette
- Preheat oven to 450°F/230C.
- Combine apple slices, 2 tablespoons sugar, and lemon peel in medium bowl; toss to blend.
- Spread preserves over crust, leaving 1 1/2-inch (4 cm) plain border.
- Arrange apple slices in concentric circles atop preserves, overlapping slightly.
- Using parchment as aid, fold plain crust border up over apples, pinching any cracks in crust.
- Brush crust with milk.
- Sprinkle crust edges and apples with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake galette 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F/190C and continue baking until crust is golden, about 30 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven.
- Slide long thin knife between parchment and galette.
- Let stand at least 10 minutes.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm or at room temperature.