Frozen peas are fine to use – especially the sweet little petits pois .
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 800g peas
- 1 small round lettuce, (I use the ‘boston” type) leaves separated and washed
- 1 litre hot chicken or vegetable stock
- grated rind and juice of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 75g feta cheese, crumbled into small pieces
- a few fresh mint leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the onion, chilli and garlic for five minutes until softened.
- Add the peas, lettuce leaves and hot stock and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for five minutes until the peas are tender.
- Take off the heat.
- Using a hand-held blender, roughly blitz until coarsely pureed. Stir in the lemon rind and juice and season with salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and scatter over the feta and mint leaves