This very simple peach pie involves little cooking. If you prefer to buy a prepared crust, add some grated fresh ginger to the puréed peaches.
Serves 4 to 6.
- 400ml ginger cookie crumbs
- 75ml butter, melted
- 700-750 ml chopped, peeled peaches
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 60ml whipping cream
- 3 thinly sliced peaches
- 60 ml melted apricot jam
To construct the shell:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine cookie crumbs and butter.
- Pat into an 8-inch pie plate and bake for 10 minutes.
Prepare the filling:
- Combine chopped peaches, sugar, lime rind and juice in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place in food processor or blender and purée.
- Return to pot.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a bowl.
- Stir into peach mixture.
- Bring to boil, stirring until thickened.
Combine and decorate:
- Whip cream until soft peaks form and fold into peach mixture.
- Pile mixture into pie shell.
- Top with sliced peaches.
- Combine jam and 1 tablespoon water in pot.
- Once heated, strain if there is pulp in the jam.
- Brush on to peach slices.
- Chill until ready to serve.