- 24 peeled, large raw scampi tails
- Olive oil for frying
- A good knob of butter for the sauce
- 4 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1tsp tomato purée
- A splash of white wine (about 50ml)
- 10 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped, or a 400g can of chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1tbsp chopped parsley
- A good knob of butter
First make the sauce:
- Gently cook the shallots and garlic in the olive oil for a couple of minutes without colouring.
- Stir in the tomato purée and white wine, then simmer for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, season and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes just begin to break up.
- Season the scampi,
- Heat a tablespoon or so of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the scampi on a high heat for 3-4 minutes until lightly coloured.
- Add the tomato sauce, butter and parsley and mix well.
- Re-season if necessary.
Serve with plain boiled rice.